Friday, June 3, 2011

The Diesel

I know I promised an in depth Game 2 Analysis, but today marked a bittersweet day in sports. After coming of such a emotional and incredible comeback, I have been distracted today by the formal announcement of "The Big Diesel's" retirement.

Watching that "press conference" (if you can call it that), it embodied everything that is great about Shaq. He was serious at times, but goofy the rest. A big kid trapped in a behemoth body. And like Shaq, I too never thought this day would come. I guess Father Time catches up with us all, but even when "The Big Arisotle" or "Shaq-fu" grew older, his presence on the court always caught the eye of spectators, and his antics off the court always kept him in the headlines. His rare combination of size and athleticism was something that "The Association" had never seen. He changed the game forever, bringing down boards and baskets in bunches, and doing it with his own style and flare, like only Shaq could. Obviously I wasn't able to witness the great center play that dominated the NBA in the 60's, 70's, and 80's, but for our generation, Shaq was the best. And the way it looks in today's NBA, no one will duplicate it.

From his movies, to his rap record, to his tv shows and twitter updates, Shaq was more than just something of basketball greatness. He was an icon. And I do hope he sticks around, stays in the headlines, and stays himself. Because unlike many athletes today, Shaq did it his way. He didn't care what others thought, he wasn't influenced by outside forces or his "possee" or "crew" (something LeBron should take note of). He did it his way, simply being himself, and became a worldwide sports superstar, and a household name.

You will be missed Shaq!

- Taylor
TAG Radio Founding Father


(Comment your favorite Shaq moments over the years)

3 comments:

  1. I remember the first time I saw Shaq in 1988. I was at a basketball tournament in San Antonio and Dean Smith, Billy Tubbs, and Nolan Richardson started walking into the gym during the 4th quarter to watch my team, The Sparkling City by the Sea (Corpus Christi), ball. While these coaches were highly impressed by our athleticism and skill, Shaq ducked his head under a door and entered the gym. It was moment when all the spectators in the gym looked at Shaq in awe. Needless, to say all the spectators were ready for Sparkling City to get off the court to watch Shaq.

    During warmups, Shaq did not disappoint and everyone in the gymnasium knew Shaq was future NBA player. Since that time, my dad would pull me out of school early so we could watch Shaq in Texas high school playoffs. Watching him mature into a hall of famer and ambassador for the game was a unique experience. Hope The Diesel continues in the NBA as a commentator for TNT or ESPN.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great story Michael! Having Shaq join that TNT cast with Charles would be unbelievable!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Guys if yall are in the need for a good laugh, watch this video of Shaq's Top 10 "Facial" Dunks!

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HDv4p0p0sZY

    ReplyDelete