Sunday, June 5, 2011

Rome's Retort

Dallas Maverick's fans can be stereotyped at times, as many Dallas –Fort Worth native fans often are.

Many of the country’s views of them include bandwagon, posh, ignorant, and anything but loyal. However, being a Dallas native, I must admit that this is false in every way possible.

I know that the true Dallas Mavericks fans knows that in tonight’s game three, it will be the little things that make the difference for the Mavs.
I know that the true Mavs fans realize that tonight’s game three may be the most important game in the franchise’s history.
I know that true Mavs fans wouldn’t have it any other way than to play the overly-covered, demonized, fiasco of a foe that is the team that slipped away in 2006.
I know that true Mavs fans have seen #41 grow and mature into the confident, often heroic, and frequently cited as “un-guardable” hybrid of a superstar
I know that true Mavs fans recognize that after watching this team, since the Cuban era, know this team is different in many ways from the former teams before it. And they know why. Defense.
I know that true Mavs fans know that if #41 beat the self-proclaimed, not 2, not 3, not 4, not 5, not 6, not 7 times Champions Miami Heat would be all too bittersweet.
I know that true Mavs fans, and basketball enthusiasts alike, believe that the wiley vet J-Kidd deserves to be a champion more than any guard of the Heat.
I know that true Mavs fans believe the better and deeper Mavericks, in the essence of team sports, can trump any big three thrown at them.
I know that true Mavs fans want redemption.
I know that true Mavs fans have NOWITnessed the adversity that has faced these Mavs these playoffs: blowing a 23 point lead VS the Blazers, sweeping the former champs and embarrassing their organization, the triumphant comebacks against the young gun Thunder, and now the defiance of the Heat’s arrogance and premature celebrations.
I know that true Mavs fans saw the eye of the tiger in #41’s eye as he left the conference finals postgame celebration as if to say ‘been here. done that, I want the next one.”

A Maverick is a term used to recognize an animal that does not carry a brand (Wikipedia.com). Is that not all in the spirit of everything that #41 has become? In a league where the winning dunk of the dunk contest was an unimpressive, showy, set up marketing scheme a Maverick would not buy that. In a world where men sell their souls for an image, a Maverick stays persistent in his task until it is perfected or “un-guardable.” In a time when The Decision to become a villain must be televised and relished beyond reproach, a Maverick would decide to put in work and remain the hero.

In a time and place where men carry brands/images that consume who they are. A Maverick does it his own way, with his own style, silently carrying no brands or images. A Maverick would be unconventional, and persistent in his task. #41 carries no brand, no image, just his team on his back.

-Rome
TAG Radio Intern
"The Green Ranger"

No comments:

Post a Comment